My top five no no’s that can easily take your website from glam to sham.
- Hard to find navigation- Make sure your navigation is easy to find and easy to read. Readers want easy access to your main topics, if they can’t find it within seconds; they will leave your site.
- Dark backgrounds with light text- Black backgrounds with white text do nothing for your website other than strain your reader’s eyes and give them a headache. Visitors to your site should feel calm and want to stay, not want to run away to find some Advil.
- Image overload- My theory for a lot of things is less is more. Less images result in faster load times and less eye distraction. Your website should have white space and definition. Say no to clutter and chaos.
- Non responsive- With mobile and tablet users on the rise, your website should be responsive. Don’t limit your audience’s experience because your site is non responsive. Visitors should have a great experience to your site whether they are on the pc, mobile or tablet. WordPress themes usually are built in with this feature. Blogger themes have the mobile option, assuming its set up and enabled.
- Music- Auto play music is not your friend. Readers find it distracting and annoying. You can leave music as an option on your site, but don’t offend your readers with auto play music before they even have a chance to read what your site is about. If you do, you have just lost a potential customer to another less “loud” site.